How To Play Blackjack
Blackjack is a card game that is often being enjoy and play at many casinos and online casinos all around the world. It is believed to have been invented in the 1700s in French casinos during the reign of King Louis XV. Other studies suggest that this famous card game was invented by the Romans. However, most of the researchers agree that blackjack started in France. The game was later spread to North America by the French colonists. By the end of the 20th century, this game was known in almost every part of the world.
Blackjack is one of the most famous card games that you will likely find at all casinos. Many gamblers around the world love it and normally refer to it as the game of 21 or blackjack 21. Unlike other card games, blackjack requires one to have a strategy than just luck if you are to win. Routine winners of this game are those that have a clear blackjack strategy to win. If you are not familiar with blackjack yet, this article is for you because I am going to share with you how to play and win blackjack.
What Is The Main Objective Of Playing Blackjack?
Before you start playing blackjack, it is important to know the main objective of the game. In simple terms, the main objective of Blackjack is to beat the dealer. Beating the dealer requires your hand to be with cards with more value than the dealer’s but not exceeding 21. So, when you get to an online casino or physical casino to play blackjack, the one thing that should be on your mind should be beating the dealer.
How Are Cards Valued In Blackjack?
Before getting started, you also need to know the value of the different cards in blackjack. In blackjack, all cards from 2 through 10 are equivalent to their face value. For example; a card having an 8 is worth 8 points and one having a 6 is worth 6 points. All face cards (J, K, and Q) are worth 10 points. An Ace is worth 1 or 11 points depending on which value helps the hand.
How Many Players Are Involved In Blackjack?
The maximum number of players in blackjack depends on the casino you are playing at. Some casinos allow up to 7 players with all players seated on one side of the table and the dealer on the other side. However, some casinos allow up to 12 players per table. Some don’t go beyond 5.
Procedures For Playing Blackjack
Placing a blackjack bet before play
The very first thing before the round of the game starts is placing a bet. Before any cards are dealt out, all the players involved in that round have to place a bet. The maximum and minimum amount you have to bet depends on the casino you are playing at. If you are a new player, I would recommend you always use the lower limit as your bet. That is after you have learned about the rules of the game and the basic strategies you can use to win.
Dealing out the cards
After all the players have placed their bets, the next thing is dealing out the cards. The dealer deals out one card face up to all the players and one card face down to herself. In the second phase of dealing out the cards, the dealer again deals out the second card to all the players face up and one card to herself also face up. This means players can only see one card of the dealer.
Players decide on their next course of action
When players receive their first two cards, they will have a couple of options to choose from for their next course. The option they choose should depend on the value of the cards they have. When a player gets cards that have a value of 21, that’s a natural blackjack.
The player with those cards automatically wins 1.5 of his original wager as long as the dealer doesn’t also have cards with 21. If the player doesn’t have cards worth 21, he has five options to choose from for his next course of action. These include;
- Stand: This means you’re comfortable with the value of your cards and you are ready to keep playing with your first two cards
- Hit: You choose this option when you are not comfortable with the value of your cards. So, the dealer will deal more cards to you one at a time until you have a value that you are comfortable with. If the value of your cards by bad luck goes beyond 21, you lose. That’s called a burst and all your original bet is lost to the house
- Double down: A player may decide to double down if they feel they have a total card value that is advantageous to them. Doubling down means asking for a third card and then doubling your initial wager. This is very useful when you have a potential to get blackjack on the next play draw.
- Split: When you get two cards with the same value, you are allowed to split the two cards into two hands. You are then dealt with the second card on each hand. You can also choose to double down after splitting the hand by adding more money equivalent to your original bet.
- Surrender: If you are given a pair of cards that you think won’t win you the game, you are given an option to surrender. However, some casinos don’t have this option.
The dealer shows their hole card
After players have decided their next course of action, the next thing is the dealer showing her hole card. If the value of the dealer’s cards is above 17, he stands. If it is below 17, he picks a third card. If it is 17, the dealer can choose to stand or pick a third card.
After every player has chosen their next course of action and the dealer has displayed her second card, the next thing is knowing who wins and who loses. This is determined as follows;
- If the dealer busts, all players in that round are paid 100% of their wager
- If the dealer doesn’t burst, your bet is taken if you have a lower value than the dealer’s hand. Players with a higher valuer than the dealer’s hand are paid 100% of their wager. If you have a hand with the same value as the dealer, that’s called a push. In that event, you are given back your wager.
Professional in every aspect of gambling activities at online casinos and physical casinos. Jefferey has more than 18 years of experience in providing honest reviews about casinos, games, promotions, payment methods, safety and security, and more.